Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Way Trash Should Be

Before we had children we lived in Dubuque, IA for a little while. While living there I realized how trash pickup should be.

We were given a recycle bin for free and could sit it at the curb on the same day as trash pickup day. We could recycle plastic, glass, paper, and cardboard all at the end of our driveway. We could put an unlimited amount of recylables out. We could even request extra bins if need be.

We were only allowed to sit out one bag of garbage a week. We had to pay $1 for each additional bag. It was a great concept. I can't believe other communities haven't figured out this simple plan. It promoted recycling and discouraged putting everything into the landfill.

We now aren't allowed to recycle at our curb where we live here in Fishers. There aren't enough people in our neighborhood that use the same company for them to pick it up. So, I collect all these recyclables in our garage and when they start overflowing my husband or I will drive them to the recycling place which is about 5 miles away. Although we may have to burn fuel to get there I don't feel so bad when I fill my trunk to the brim with all this stuff that isn't going to the landfill.

1 comment:

  1. its very intresting idea about the recycling machine!
    thank you.:)
    http://water-recycling-ways.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete